Saturday, September 15, 2012

I may be biased...

I joke that I have this need to rid the world of ignorance. I seem to be a magnet for ignorant comments. Some come from well-meaning people, but most come from complete strangers. You would not believe the things I have been told about Little Man from people who don't even know him. A few months ago we were told that we were being "lazy" teaching Little Man sign language. Apparently, we were supposed to "force" him to talk. I feel the need to educate this person and others like them!

I know I am a very proud mommy. I may be a little biased, but Little Man is such a smart litte boy! He is constantly amazing me with the things he picks up. He has a very large signing vocabulary, but doesn't talk. If you take the time to play with him and get to know him, you will also be amazed by him. I promise! Unfortunately, we are already running into people who treat him like he is "slow" because he does not talk. Others seem to be bothered by him because it takes a little more effort to work with him. I am terrified of what he is going to face in life when he begins school. I worry that he will be treated like he is stupid because he does not talk. I worry that the teachers will not want him in their class because of the extra effort that will be required.

So again, I feel the need to educate the world. Do not judge my son because he does not talk! Get to know him and he may just teach you a thing or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment